Like Daughter - 56

It's nearly 3AM and I've got so much running through my head that I needed to do something with it.

This is getting very real.

Jason starts treatment in four hours. At 5:40AM, he needs to take his Zofran. At 6:10AM, he needs to take his oral Temozolomide, which is his chemotherapy. At 6:15AM, we need to be on the road to the treatment center where he will receive his first radiation treatment. From there, we will receive an official schedule for the times for his treatments each day. He will receive two radiation treatments per day for 25 days. The doctors recommended two smaller treatments per day versus one big treatment per day to lessen the possibility of long-term effects. Okie doke. Whatever helps my husband get through this.

There's a lot to think about these days along with treatment logistics.

1. FMLA paperwork and preparing my classroom and students for my absence.

2. Finances, since Jason will not be working during treatment.

3. Setting up our wills...just in case, or whatever. I don't like thinking about it.

4. Jason wants to go on a few trips to places he's never been.

Talk about brain overload.

It's the beginning of the school year and I'm in pre-service week, getting ready to welcome the kiddos next Monday. I'm already feeling tired, and that doesn't usually happen until later in the year. It has nothing to do with work, necessarily. But, I will say, it does help to have something else to focus energy into.

Part of me says, "It's just five weeks." But, the other part says, "Holy crap it's five weeks." And it really will be longer, since Jason will have to continue his chemotherapy pills for another 6 months after radiation. He will take them for 7 days, then be off for 23 days. Then will do the same thing again until 6 months is over. Who knows how this will affect him...I just hope the side effects are minimal, for his sake.

There's a group on Facebook that I joined recently for people who are dealing with Glioblastoma tumors, whether they are caregivers, family members, or patients themselves. While the information people provide is helpful, there's so much sadness in that group. I may have to hide it from my page for a while... It's things I don't want to think about...can't think about. Won't think about.

In the meantime, the ball is rolling, and we will keep pushing on. We have to.

Until next time. I wish you love, happiness, and -- most importantly -- good health.

Dori

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like Mother - 53

Like Daughter - 54

Special Entry: Good Housekeeping Article Response