Like Mother - 18
I’ve been having problems with tachycardia since my operation. Evidently, with manipulation of the thyroid in removing it at surgery, much excess hormone is secreted into the body. It’s a lousy feeling – like you’re in overdrive even when you are trying to relax. After talking about this with my endocrinologist yesterday, he doubled my beta blocker, and if that does not give me effective relief, may decrease my Synthroid dose. As well, my menopausal hot flashes have hit an all-time high. I have become one big walking/talking hormone.
The recent turn of events with Janina doesn’t help any either. I know she is anxious about her visit with the surgeon tomorrow, and I feel her pain. Everyone feels her pain. Calls and messages have been pouring in. I’m sure most people are thinking what misfortune and horrible luck our family seems to have – that we all have cancer at the same time. Truth is, we have it “at the same time” because we are looking for it. But it was there, and who knows for how long. Dori’s diagnosis four years ago eventually led to my concern and subsequent diagnosis, which led to Janina’s diagnosis.
Misfortune? Perhaps. I choose to think that we are fortunate. Fortunate to have discovered our cancer and fortunate to have each other. Each of us can both sympathize and empathize with the other. Each of us knows how it feels every step of the way. We’re just exchanging places to be where we need to be. Janina and I were once at Dori’s bedside, Janina then at my bedside, and I will be at her bedside very soon. I will hold her hand and whisper the same comforting words that she whispered to me and reassure her that she will be fine.
It’s 11 a.m. and I’m still lying in bed as I make this entry. Trying to give the meds a chance to kick in. When my feet hit the floor, I will officially be up. Let’s see what today brings…
P.S.
Another great “Tweet” I received today:
"Adversity is another way to measure the greatness of individuals. I never had a crisis that didn't make me stronger." - Lou Holtz
Comments
Post a Comment