Like Daughter - 12

I still can hardly believe that 2009 is over. Sometimes it feels like time is going so slowly, but other times it feels like it's speeding by like a whirlwind.

So 2010 is here. A new year. Hopefully a fresh start for my family and I. Even though the whole thyroid cancer fiasco has begun for my entire family, I feel like we're going to be OK.

When my sister got her biopsies, the doctor said that we should see a genetics doctor to discuss whether or not this is a family thing. The one piece of information that startled me was that, if this is genetic, there's a 50/50 chance that any offspring could get thyroid cancer. Wow.

A close friend of mine, Jon, was also diagnosed with thyroid cancer. He has a tumor suppressant gene mutation, diagnosed as Cowden Syndrome, and there is a 50/50 chance that if he has children, they could get the syndrome.

Mom and I had a conversation on Monday about if thyroid cancer was genetic, and, if it was, would she have had me and my brother, and will I still have children? She said if it were thyroid cancer, yes, she would have still had us. Mom told me that thyroid cancer really isn't life-threatening, as long as it is caught early and closely watched. I wonder, though, what I will do. Would I really refuse my children life because of a disease that very well could not affect them?

I guess that's something I'll have to think about when the time comes. If it ever does. ;)

Anyway, I wish everyone a Happy New Year! And I hope my Florida Gators win the Sugar Bowl tonight! Woohoo!

Comments

  1. Love following your blog Dori ! Did your sister get her biopsy results back yet? Hope you had a peaceful new years eve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jessica! :)

    No, Janina didn't get her results yet. Hopefully she'll get a phone call on Monday.

    I did have a wonderful New Year's Eve, did you? <3

    --Dori

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Like Mother - 53

Like Daughter - 54

Special Entry: Good Housekeeping Article Response