Like Mother - 01

I think the hardest part about being diagnosed with thyroid cancer is the tendency to re-live my daughter's diagnosis back in 2006 and subsequent journey with what her doctor calls "persistent and troublesome" thyroid cancer.  I can remember saying at that time "why not me?", "please, pick me..not her".  I guess I should have watched what I wished for.  But believing that everything happens for a reason, and we are where we are meant to be at all times in our lives, I have a strong feeling in my gut that we are on this journey together for a greater purpose. 

So far, for me, it has been a whirlwind of events.  Visit with my internist with complaints about neck discomfort, subsequent ultrasound, subsequent biopsies, diagnosis of thyroid carcinoma, more subsequent biopsies, scheduling of surgery.  That's it in a nutshell. 

As I await surgery, I oscillate between feeling positive and negative, courageous and scared to death, supported and very alone.  Mostly though, I feel fortunate to have an amazing arsenal of family, friends, physicians and surgeon whom I know will bring me through this unfortunate and rather surreal time in my life. 

Like daughter, like mother...it's like deja vu...all over again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like Mother - 53

Like Daughter - 54

Special Entry: Good Housekeeping Article Response